Your website is the first impression you will make on a prospective reader. They read a review of your book and want to learn more about you as the author. Present your best self and share your unique perspective with new and existing readers on your own domain.
WordPress is the best choice for web design and has been at the top for nearly a decade. The platform is flexible and data migrations (moving your site from one domain to another) has never been easier. WordPress is wonderful for authors for a multitude of reasons. We’ve listed our favorites below:
- Use the built-in blog. WordPress began as a blogging platform and remains one of the most widely used infrastructures for new and existing sites. Whether you use your author site to launch your first book or as a repository for your dozens of novels, a blog can serve to tie your own brand of ideas together.
- Grow your audience. Let your readers get to know you and your content. Create a place on your site where visitors can sign up for your mailing list. Apps like SumoMe can work with Constant Contact or MailChimp to gather email addresses.
- Establish your voice. A website is the perfect forum to showcase your individual talents. A beautiful website with your current branding and agent’s contact information can lend authority to a new writer and make planning a press conference easier.
- Sell your book directly from your site. You don’t need a team of developers or accountants to offer your readers a copy of your newest novel. Make it easy to buy a digital or hard copy of your book with integrations like Gumroad.
- Easily scale your site as your group of readers grows. WordPress can start as a DIY project if you have the time and inclination. When you are ready to stand out, hire a web designer for a fully customized WordPress site.
Tina Gilbertson is a psychotherapist, speaker and author who trusted Mozak Design with her author website. We created a beautiful website that offers visitors a place to read her current thoughts on her blog, visit the Press Room, as well as schedule an appointment and purchase a copy of her book. It can be challenging to keep a website engaging while juggling all of the information; Tina was very pleased with the final design and with the added website traffic.
Mozak Design is proud to have a long relationship with authors. When Williamette Writers celebrated their 50th anniversary, we were happy to host a website workshop. Download the goodies from the writers’ workshop on our website.